Join Community, Labor, Faith, and Justice organizations – and your friends at TWWSJ – to March for May Day 2018. This event is put together by the May Day Coalition. Endorsing organizations include: Calpulli Tonalequeh, Working Partnerships, SAHE, South Bay Labor Council, SEIU USWW, SCC Peace and Freedom Party, South Bay Progressive Alliance, SCC Wage Theft Coalition, Rise Up for Justice, LUNA, Unite Here Local 19, Fight for $15, SJ Peace and Justice Center, South Bay Labor Council, CWA, Stand San Jose, CTA & others.
This is not a TWWSJ event — we are there to support and show solidarity with the message of the organizers. We’ll have our banner, wear your shirt!
Consider training to be a Security Monitor at the event. Training takes place on Saturday, April 28. RSVP on Facebook.
For the last 12 years, SCC unions, community-based organizations and immigrant rights groups have made the May Day March a Silicon Valley tradition. Now more than ever with the current presidential administration, we need to come together to reflect the resistance and solidarity with other communities. This year their goal is to mobilize 30,000 people!
- 4pm: Participants will gather
- 5pm: Begin the march
- 6pm: Program at the end of the march
Participants with disabilities: The route will be on the sidewalk and street. There will be sign interpreters and large print chant sheets.
The theme of the march is “sow, grow, know.”
Ways to help if you cannot attend:
- SHARE the event to your Facebook timeline and other groups you are in.
- Print and download a flyer and ask local businesses to display in the window. Download PDFs of flyers for printing (English and Spanish, different sizes) from Google Drive.
- Ask your faith community, school, community center, or other organization to march with their banner and show up in support of our immigrant and labor community.
- Make a donation to help defray expenses: The money would be used for the coordinating expenses of the march (permits, water, truck rental, generators, portable bathrooms, stage, sound system, etc). Please make the check out to:
Collins Foundation, MEMO line: “May Day 2018”
Mail to: Collins Foundation, 48 S. 7th Street, San Jose, CA 95112
(read more about the Collins Foundation)
- Sign up to be a Rapid Responder and/or ask your faith community about putting together an accompaniment team for immigrants being detained by ICE. There are regular trainings on weekdays, evenings, and weekends. The training is short and very worthwhile. Find out more and sign up via PACT’s website.