As some of you may be aware, many jails across our state release inmates that have completed their sentence at late hours of the night or early hours of the morning. Releasing vulnerable people in the middle of the night without support or transportation is cruel, and dangerous. Recently, Jessica St. Louis was released from the Santa Rita Jail at 1:30AM – and was found dead hours later.
- SF advocacy group criticizes release of woman from jail in overnight hours before her death (KTVU Fox 2)
The Young Women’s Freedom Center is running a campaign called Justice for Jessica, demanding the end of late night/early morning release. I contacted them about how we could help and here is what I heard back:
1. If you can attend their next action bodies on the ground it always great. The next action is August 19th.
2. You can sign up for emails from the YWFC for updates.
3. You can call your state assembly members in support of a bill to ban nighttime releases.
- State Senator Proposes Banning Nighttime Releases of Inmates (KQED’s The California Report)
Thanks to TWWSJ member Erin S. for this information!