2 quick calls today, and 2 donation opportunities for Mother’s Day!
1. Contact your Senators and let them know you oppose Gina Haspel as director of the CIA because of her history of using torture techniques. Confirmation hearings are happening now. More than 100 retired military leaders oppose Haspel’s appointment, and many human rights activists and faith leaders do as well. ALSO urge your Senators to oppose the confirmation of Trump judicial nominee Ryan Bounds to the 9th Circuit US Court of Appeals. Bounds has expressed animosity towards vulnerable peoples including the LGBTQ community, people of color, sexual assault survivors, and workers.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
2. Contact your Representative and urge them not to pass any Farm Bill that will reduce or eliminate SNAP (nutrition assistance). House Republicans see this as a chance to take benefits away from at least 1 million households while also imposing expanded work requirements, even though there’s no evidence that such requirements improve employment rates. Currently more than 40 million people rely on this assistance, including seniors, people with disabilities, veterans and active military folks, and families with children. Tell your representative you expect him/her to protect SNAP.
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren: (202) 225-3072 or (408) 271-8700
- Rep. Ro Khanna: (202) 225-2631 or (408) 436-2720
- Rep. Anna Eshoo: (202) 225-8104 or (408) 245-2339
- 1-844-USA-0234 to find your MoC
3. Make Mother’s Day a happier, more just day for vulnerable women! Here are two excellent opportunities:
- National Black Mamas’ Bail Out Day: Donate to help bail out as many mothers as possible who otherwise would spend Mother’s Day in a jail cell simply because they cannot afford bail. This organization also works to highlight the impact of inhumane and destructive bail practices on vulnerable communities.
- Parcel of Love: Donate to help buy and deliver basic baby essentials to mothers in Syrian refugee camps. This year the organization hopes to provide 2,000 Baby Boxes to these vulnerable, displaced families.
A donation to either or both will make mothers in your life so much happier than a #1 Mom mug!