It’s only Tuesday, and we already have a month of issues to address. Help our nation by starting with these 3 actions.
1. VOTE IS WEDNESDAY 7/11/18 — Call on senators to oppose the nomination of Brian Benczkowski to head the Department of Justice’s Criminal Division.
Call senators and ask them to vote ‘NO’ on the nomination of Brian Benczkowski (Bench-Cow-Ski) to head the Department of Justice’s Criminal Division.
Benczkowski previously worked for Jeff Sessions in the Senate and served as head of the Trump transition team at the DOJ. He has no prosecutorial experience. He represented Putin-allied Alfa Bank which has been accused of a secret computer connection with the Trump Organization. All 10 Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee have written a letter saying his nomination should be withdrawn.
Despite these objections, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved Benczkowski’s nomination and the full Senate is likely to vote on it this coming week. Benczkowski would be in a position to replace Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein if the campaign that House Republicans are waging to replace him succeeds.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041)
2. Call your senators to demand they oppose Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court.
Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh spent 12 years on the D.C. Circuit appeals court, where he repeatedly issued extremist opinions. While the Supreme Court is intended to be apolitical, Kavanaugh also has a history of partisanship, even participating in the drafting of the Kenneth Starr report that laid the groundwork for Bill Clinton’s impeachment.
Kavanaugh’s history of advocating for positions that are outside of mainstream beliefs are deeply troubling. His position that a sitting president should be shielded from criminal and civil action makes clear that Trump is attempting to subvert checks and balances to avoid accountability for his actions.
3. Call Gov. Brown’s office and urge him to speak up regarding the reunification process proposed.
- Phone: (916) 445-2841
- Fax: (916) 558-3160
- Email: https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov39mail/
Six Democratic governors signed a letter Friday to Trump officials, saying they were “deeply concerned that wholly inadequate resources and procedures are in place to ensure children and parents are reunified safely and securely.”
The letter also states that during a June 29 meeting with governors’ offices, administration representatives “shared that reunification may include the placement of separate children with any long-term sponsor,” including long-term foster care.
“If true, this interpretation appears to blatantly ignore the terms of the court order,” the letter reads. Read the whole thing:
- Governor: Trump officials view placing migrant kids in foster care equal to family reunification (The Hill)
Thanks for all you do. It matters.