The Wear Orange edition (post 1/4)
Besides wearing orange, what can you do?
1. Check out our local Moms Demand Action chapter on Facebook.
2. Call Sen. Feinstein and ask her to cosponsor S. 2009, which aims to make background checks nearly universal. The bill would close the “gun show loophole” by mandating that all sellers run potential buyer information through the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Use this script from 5 Calls:
“I’m calling to ask [SEN NAME] to support for S. 2009, the Background Check Expansion Act. Closing loopholes that allow the wrong people to buy guns is a necessary step Congress must take to strengthen our current gun policies and protect Americans from the rampant gun violence devastating our country.”
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
3. Call your representative and ask her/him to introduce legislation to address children’s access to guns. Child Access Prevention (CAP) laws are proven to be among the most effective policies to reduce gun violence, including suicide and unintentional injuries and death. There are no CAP laws in place at the federal level, and 23 states do not have CAP laws.
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren: (202) 225-3072 or (408) 271-8700
- Rep. Ro Khanna: (202) 225-2631 or (408) 436-2720
- Rep. Anna Eshoo: (202) 225-8104 or (408) 245-2339
- 1-844-USA-0234 to find your MoCs
4. Donate to the new PAC created by parents from the Parkland community, Families Versus Assault Rifle PAC, which aims to take on candidates backed by the National Rifle Association (NRA).