Lots of issues today. Please take action on:
- The DREAM Act of 2017
- Senate confirmation of Trump appointees (vote is TODAY)
- Support overtime pay
- Hold ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) accountable
- NEW: Support SB 54 to protect our immigrant neighbors
1. The DREAM Act of 2017: Yesterday Trump announced an end to DACA but left the door open for Congress to pass a legislative solution. Call your representative to support the DREAM Act of 2017! Use this script from 5 Calls:
“I’m calling to express my support for H.R. 3591, the American Hope Act, and the thousands of Dreamers who contribute to our society. I urge Rep ___ to support this legislative solution to protecting the DACA program and the hundreds of thousands of people who rely on it for access to jobs, education, and security.”
Note: Zoe Lofgren has already signed on as cosponsor, and both of our senators support the Senate equivalent, SB 1615, but here’s the contact info for our other South Bay reps:
- Ro Khanna: (202) 225-2631 or (408) 436-2720
- Anna Eshoo: (202) 225-8104 or (408) 245-2339
2. Speak out on Trump’s federal nominees TODAY. Read below for more information, and then use this script (or your own!) when calling Senators Feinstein and Harris:
“I’m calling to oppose two of Trump’s nominees. Sam Clovis and Jeffrey Bossert Clark are climate change deniers who will not protect Americans’ health and safety. They do not belong in positions as USDA Chief Scientist or Assistant Attorney General for the DOJ Environmental and Natural Resources Division.”
When talking to Senator Feinstein’s office, add this script from Americans of Conscience:
“I’m also asking Senator Feinstein, as a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee [SJC], to oppose conducting a single hearing for Barrett, Larsen, and Drieband for lifetime appointments as judges. I am advocating for a thorough review of each nominee. Please urge the Senator to work to properly vet these candidates.”
- Senator Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
- Senator Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
Oppose the nomination of Sam Clovis — a racist, homophobic climate change denier, who, by the way, is also NOT a scientist — for USDA Chief Scientist. If you’d like to read about Clovis, check this out: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/politics/kfile-sam-clovis-lgbt-comments/index.html.
Oppose Jeffrey Bossert Clark for Top Environmental Prosecutor at the DOJ. If confirmed, Clark — another climate change denier — would lead the Department of Justice’s enforcement of environmental laws and regulations and defend the Environmental Protection Agency. Clark has a long history of opposing environmental protections (he represented BP in lawsuits over the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2011) and, indeed, the government agencies he’s charged with protecting, and prioritizes corporate interests over the environment or public well-being.
TODAY (Wednesday) the Senate will be holding a single confirmation hearing for several lifetime (conservative) judicial nominees instead of reviewing each nominee separately. This is an open attempt to bypass the traditional vetting process. Check out this statement from People for the American Way: http://www.pfaw.org/press-releases/pfaw-slams-senator-grassley-for-stacking-nominations-hearings/
3. Speak out on overtime pay. From Rogan’s List: “On September 25th, the period for public comment on the Department of Labor’s overtime pay rule will close. The Trump administration is working on undoing an overtime pay rule which was initially set to go into effect December 2016. (http://reut.rs/2tZfWFX) Under the new rule, the maximum salary one could receive in order to qualify for legally mandated overtime pay would have increased to $47,000, double the current threshold. The current salary limit for mandated overtime pay is simply not sufficient; it does not account for different costs of living across the country, and has not been adjusted for inflation since the threshold was set, in 2004. We can share our thoughts on the current minimum salary threshold at the Federal Register: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=WHD-2017-0002-0001
4. Demand that ICE be accountable for their actions. The ACLU has documented ongoing cruelty and abuse towards detained immigrants. What can you do? Write the Secretary of Homeland Security — and cc your Senators and Representatives — using this script from Americans of Conscience:
“According to reports, my tax dollar is funding abuse, harassment, and malnourishment of immigrants and asylum seekers by ICE officers and detention centers. Further, ICE is also destroying records that could hold them accountable for inhumane actions. Immigrants, law-abiding or not, must be treated with basic human decency. Please initiate an effort to reign in this cruel treatment and unchecked power. America is better than this.”
5. A California bill, SB 54, would sharply limit communication between law enforcement officers and federal immigration agents. After a promising beginning, the bill has stalled, and legislators and the governor are under heavy pressure to amend the bill or let it die. TWW-SJ member Cassie Kifer writes, “Governor Brown and party leadership are trying to decide right now whether they will move forward with SB-54 or let the bill linger and die. Call them now. Here’s a script:
“My name is _____, and I am calling to ask Gov Brown/Assemblymember ___ to support a strong California Values Act, SB54, in its current form. We cannot use CA’s resources to help the Trump administration deport our friends & neighbors! Will the Governor/Assemblymember support a strong CA Values Act?”
Contact Governor Jerry Brown: (916) 445-2841
Look up your Assemblymember here: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov
- Ash Kalra: (408) 277-1220
- Evan Low: (408) 446-2810
- Kansen Chu: (408) 262-2501
Tell us how it goes in the comments below! Thanks for your activism – it matters!
Don’t forget you can contact your Senators and Representatives through phone (Call 1-844-6-RESIST), email (http://democracy.io), or text (text “Resist” to 50409).