“Some people hold torches. The rest of us carry a light within as we work for liberty and justice.” ~ Jen Hofmann
1. Charlottesville. We will continue to battle hatred and racism every day in our words and actions. These are some small things we can do now:
- Sign this petition from our friends at Color of Change to remove Confederate symbols. https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/remove-all-confederate-symbols-america/
- Donate to victims’ medical expenses:
2. Call our senators and demand the removal of Bannon, Miller, and Gorka, who white supremacists see as an advocate for their cause.
I’m [name] and I’m a constituent in [zip]. I am horrified by the rise of white supremacy in America. White supremacists say that Trump is supportive of their views and see Bannon, Miller and Gorka as their advocates in the White House. It is intolerable to have these men remain as White House advisers. A divided country can never heal until they are removed. I urge the Senator to demand that these three men be dismissed from the White House.
- Senator Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
- Senator Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
3. DACA. Today marks the 5th anniversary since the first DACA application was filed. Since then, DACA has allowed 800,000 qualified immigrant youth to gain legal protection, go to college, and support their families and communities.
- Show your support by signing this petition at United We Dream: https://action.unitedwedream.org/petitions/keep-the-deferred-action-for-childhood-arrivals-daca-program
- Call the handful of Republican politicians who are threatening DACA and tell them to stop: http://defenddaca.com/
4. Today is the last day of the public comment period for marine monuments and sanctuaries. Four National Marine Sanctuaries out of the 11 on the chopping block are in CA: Monterey Bay, Channel Islands, Cordell Bank, and Greater Farallones. Please speak up for their protection on this official government comment website. Here is the link: https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=NOAA-NOS-2017-0066-0001
Rough script to paste in:
I write to add my voice and show the strong public desire that monuments and sanctuaries not be altered or eliminated, and that the U.S. maintain all of the current protections for these diverse marine ecosystems. These unique places benefit all Americans, including future generations. Do NOT open them up to oil drilling and the dire risk of pollution!
You can also voice your opinion here: http://monumentsforall.org/marine/
Thanks for all you do. It matters.