Call to Action
Two call to actions about kids!
1. A great action item for children! Kids (or you, of course!) can write cards that will be delivered to separated immigrant children in a shelter near Chicago. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) delivered some cards recently and said it meant a lot to them. “I encourage kids across the country to show children who’ve been separated from their parents that we’re thinking of them and we care.”
ATTN: Cards for Kids
330 C Street, SW
Washington, D.C. 20201
2. Call both of your California state legislators about an upcoming bill about online privacy for kids.
“I’d like to leave a message for Senator/Assemblymember ______ urging him to vote yes on AB 375, the California Consumer Privacy Act. AB 375 will take a crucial first step in protecting consumers’ digital privacy and make sure that kids in particular have the special protections they need as the first generation growing up online.”
- Sen. Bob Wieckowski: (916) 651-4010 or (510) 794-3900
- Sen. Jim Beall: (916) 651-4015 or (408) 558-1295
- Sen. Jerry Hill: (916) 651-4013 or (650) 212-3313
- Kansen Chu: (510) 440-9030
- Evan Low: (408) 446-2810
- Ash Kalra: (408) 277-1220
Look up your state legislators here.
- Strengthen Online Privacy Protections for California Kids and Families (Common Sense Media)
SHOW UP THIS WEEK
1. #STANDWITHMUSLIMS Supreme Court just upheld Muslim Ban. MoveOn is organizing a protest TODAY at 5:00-7:00pm at Winchester and Stevens Creek Blvds. (map)
3. Come to a Families Belong Together rally this Saturday, June 30. Over 600 rallies are planned nationwide. Here are some of the local ones:
- San Jose: City Hall at 11:00am
- Mountain View: Gateway Park in on the corner of El Camino and Castro at 7:00pm. Marching to Civic Center Plaza at 7:45pm. Candlelight rally 8-9pm – bring electric candles or wax candles in containers
- Palo Alto: El Camino and Embarcadero near Town & Country Village (park at high school) at noon.
- Fremont: Veterans Park at Superior Court House at 10:00am.
4. Have you signed up for Postcards to Voters yet? Now we’re writing for a special election in Ohio that could flip to blue and send another Democrat to Congress! Throw your postcards in the car so you can write when you have a few minutes!
PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHER TEACHERS!
If you’re a member of TWWSJ’s private Facebook group, you may view this post and discussion there.
CalSTRS, the California State Teacher’s Retirement System, has about 13,000,000 invested in Core Civic and The Geo Group, two for-profit prison companies making money off of immigrant misery at the border. It’s time for teachers to make our voices heard. The City of New York and the City of Philadelphia have both divested their pensions from these companies, California must do so as well! Please:
1. CONTACT YOUR UNION REP and share your concerns with them. Ask them what are next steps.
2. SIGN A LETTER IN SUPPORT OF DIVESTING FROM FOR-PROFIT PRISONS, spearheaded by a TWWSJ member: https://goo.gl/forms/T9fwPoaNSKU1h2K23
Contact Cal-STRS directly! Reach out to the Teacher’s Retirement Board Compensation and Investment Committee at:
- Email: Board@CalSTRS.com
- Phone: 916-414-2201.
“I was recently informed that CalSTRS holds stock in CoreCivic Inc., and the GEO Group, two companies involved in running private prisons. These prisons are implicated in the mass incarceration of Americans, and now profit from the imprisonment of refugee children at our borders and the separation of refugee and immigrant families.
As a teacher who has spent my entire career working to serve children and families, I am appalled that CalSTRS would invest our money in organizations which profit from the destruction of families and communities. It is unconscionable that our retirement funds are being used to support this immoral system.
CalSTRS stated approach is “engagement not divestment”. As an account holder, I demand that you a) show me exactly how they are putting pressure on the companies to be better and b) show me evidence that that “pressure” has had any impact whatsoever. If you are unable to do that, then I call for the immediate divestment of these stocks (and those of any other private prison companies) held by CalSTRS and for a socially responsible and beneficent model of investment as a whole.”
3. Check ANY and ALL pensions, investments, and mutual funds for involvement with Core Civic (CXW) or Geo Group (GEO). (CalPERS, FRS). If you have holdings in these prison-for-profit companies, consider divestiture.
4. Reach out to these state leaders to urge divestiture of State pensions in for-profit prisons.
- State Treasurer John Chiang (outgoing)
- State Controller Betty Yee (up for re-election)
- Fiona Ma (running for Chiang’s seat)
5. Educate yourself further on this issue by reading below. Feel free to discuss, comment, and ask questions.
- For evidence-based learning (i.e. to check for yourself), go to CALSTRS.com, click on “portfolio holdings by asset category” then scroll down under the pie chart, you can click on “domestic equities read more.” Using the alphabetical lists you can see CoreCivic Inc. and the GEO group along with the number of shares owned and the dollar value of the shares.
- California’s pension fund managers are at odds with activists and some union leaders over divestments (LA School Report)
- Here’s Why New York City’s Pension Program Just Divested From […]
We created this list of actions you can take from home to support the Indivisible San Jose protest at the ICE facility TODAY in Richmond (event information on Facebook). Here’s the text:
Enough is enough! Outraged about the separation of families at the border? Here’s how you can help:
1. SPEAK UP
- Congress: Let Senators Feinstein & Harris & your Representative in Congress know you want them to press for families to be reunited. YouLobby.org will give you a script & phone numbers (choose “Immigration” as your issue), or send email or use Resistbot.
- Dept of Justice: Call the comment line at 202-353-1555 to tell Attorney General Jeff Sessions not to restrict access to asylum for vulnerable people fleeing domestic and gang violence.
- Profiteers: Email executives of companies that are profiting from imprisoning immigrants and ask them to stop – info & email addresses from Grab Your Wallet.
- Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network (SIREN) – directly support legal services, advocacy, & training community leaders in the Bay Area.
- ActBlue Fund – support 8 organizations working to protect kids at the border: Human Rights First, We Belong Together, Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project, Women’s Refugee Commission, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), United We Dream Action, La Union Del Pueblo Entero, and Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)
3. SHOW UP
- June 30 – events all around the Bay are; find one at FamiliesBelongTogether.org.
- No Muslim Ban – find an event & sign up for an alert when the Supreme Court rules on the Muslim Ban case, Hawaii v. Trump.
4. STUDY UP
Great info from Suit Up Maine.
Find this document with clickable links here: http://bit.ly/ImmigrationActions
(from Americans of Conscience)
I believe in democracy… with respect and collaboration, we create a government for the people, by the people.
TAKE ACTION by calling your member of congress and senators and encouraging them to hold town halls in July.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren: (202) 225-3072 or (408) 271-8700
- Rep. Ro Khanna: (202) 225-2631 or (408) 436-2720
- Rep. Anna Eshoo: (202) 225-8104 or (408) 245-2339
- 1-844-USA-0234 to find your MoC
Hi. I’m a constituent from [ZIP]. Can you tell me whether [name] is planning to hold town hall meetings during the June 30-July 8 recess?
- If no meetings planned: Can you let me know when s/he plans to meet with his/her constituents?
- If meetings planned: Thank you—I plan to be there.
(from Silicon Valley Courageous Resistance)
MAKE NO EXCUSES! TAKE ACTION by using 5 Calls to call your Senators and Representatives in the House about their support for the “KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER ACT” to stop the separation of immigrant families at the U.S. border.
C2A Support the Keep Families Together Act (5 Calls)
ALL of us have 5 minutes to make three calls today or tomorrow.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION Martin Luther King Jr. said, “He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”
Are you horrified about kids being separated from their families & terrorized, but don’t know what to do? We now know the names of two contractors that are coordinating these child concentration camps: MVM Inc. and General Dynamics.
Here are the emails for General Dynamics’ PR teams (from Shannon Coulter at Grab Your Wallet) — as she says, we’re going to make them work for their paycheck:
Here’s an email template:
It has come to my attention that your business is holding immigrant children in jails.
They are children and asylum seekers. They should not be separated from their parents and they shouldn’t be in prison camps.
Please ask your leadership to back out of this contract as there is no way to justify this.
The American people and the world are watching. Do not be part of this terror against the most vulnerable.
TAKE ACTION by being prepared to be a good ally during PRIDE month. It is important for LGBTQ allies to show support, it’s important to keep the focus on the real meaning of Pride and be aware of when — and in what capacity — your presence is appreciated.
What does it take to be a good straight ally during Pride? Here is as hint… it’s not about your Instagram. The following suggestions were extracted from a script published by GLAAD intended to provide insight into how to be a good LGBTQ ally and friend.
- Let your friends, family and co-workers know that anti-LGBTQ comments and jokes are harmful and you find them offensive.
- Confront your own prejudices and bias, even if it is uncomfortable to do so.
- Defend your LGBTQ friends against discrimination.
- Believe that all people, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation, should be treated with dignity and respect.
- Contact GLAAD if you see LGBTQ people being misrepresented in the media.
Here are some videos that breakdown being an ally:
- 5 Tips For Being An Ally (Chescaleigh on YouTube)
- How To Be A Straight Ally (with Ash Hardell) (DarkSquidge on YouTube)
If you prefer the written word, here are some articles on being an ally:
(from Americans of Conscience)
TAKE ACTION by showing gratitude. Let’s write or call those we appreciate for there recent actions in opposition of the Executive Branch or the GOP agenda.
1. Thank Jeff Merkley (D-OR) for demanding answers about the administration’s policy of separating families and its detention conditions for unaccompanied children. Thank you for using your position to uplift the silenced and highlight this wrong.
- Call: 202-224-3753
- Email: merkley.senate.gov/contact
- Write: 121 SW Salmon Street Suite 1400 Portland, OR, 97204
2. Thank Justin Trudeau for refusing to meet with the president about NAFTA with sunset preconditions. We’re grateful you understand the difference between our leader and the American people. We’re working hard for change.
- Email: pm.gc.ca/eng/connect
- Write: PM Justin Trudeau, House of Commons, Ottawa, ON, K1A 0A6 (Postage: $1.15)
- Trudeau declines to meet Trump because of US precondition (Tampa Bay Times)
3. Thank Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) for working together to heal the culture of silence that feeds workplace harassment. Their bill, the Empower Act, gives people a voice to protect themselves.
Sen. Kamala Harris:
- Call: 202-224-3553
- Email: harris.senate.gov/contact/email
- Write: 333 Bush Street, Suite 3225, San Francisco, CA 94104
Sen. Lisa Murkowski:
- Call: 202-224-6665
- Email: murkowski.senate.gov/contact/email
- Write: 510 L Street, Suite 600, Anchorage, AK 99501
- The EMPOWER Act Is an Important Step Toward Addressing Workplace Harassment (People for the American Way)
4. Thank Kaiser Permanente CEO Bernard J. Tyson for advocating for stable housing as a precursor to physical and mental health. We commend your company’s $200 million investment to address housing stability and homelessness.
- Write: One Kaiser Plaza, 1550 Ordway, Oakland, California 94612
- Kaiser Permanente Announces $200 Million Impact Investment, Partners with U.S. Mayors and CEOs to Address Housing Stability (PR Newswire)
5. Thank Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Claire McCaskill (D-MO) for protecting older Americans’ financial security. The senators authored the Senate version of the Senior Safe Act, included in the bipartisan banking reform package signed by the president.
Sen. Susan Collins:
- Call: 202-224-2523
- Email: collins.senate.gov/contact
- Write: 202 Harlow Street, Room 20100, Bangor, ME 04401
Sen. Claire McCaskill:
- Call: 202-224-6154
- Email: mccaskill.senate.gov/contact
- Write: 324 Park Central West, Ste. 101, Springfield, Missouri 65806
6. Thank the Mexican American Legislative Caucus for organizing a June 5 hearing at the Texas Capitol to end family separation. Many Americans are working hard to oppose this policy and appreciate your advocacy.
- Write: Westgate Tower, 1122 Colorado Street, Suite 107, Austin, TX 78701
- Twitter: @RAICESTEXAS
7. Thank the Al Otro Lado for representing and advocating for the rights of people seeking refuge and asylum in the United States. Americans all over the country stand with you and take action on the issues you […]
It’s estimated more than 1,000 children have been separated from their families at the border as a result of the Trump administration’s brutal and mean-spirited “zero tolerance” policy towards migrants. TODAY, June 14, people across the country are rallying to protest this deliberate inhumanity and call for immediate reform.
What can you do?
ATTEND A PROTEST
The local Families Belong Together rally is *tonight* from 6-7:30 at San José’s City Hall, 200 E. Santa Clara Street, and TWWSJ will be attending. Here’s the official event information on Facebook and here’s the information for meeting up with TWWSJ folks at the rally.
Call, email, or Resistbot Congress! Let Senators Feinstein & Harris know you support the legislation they are working on & tell your Representative your views – 5Calls will give you a script & the phone numbers for your Members of Congress. Don’t forget you can email, fax, or use Resistbot.
Dept of Homeland Security: Tell DHS Secretary Nielsen to abandon the cruel practice of separating families seeking protection at our borders. Children belong with their parents, not locked up in detention centers.
- Email DHSSecretary@hq.dhs.gov or call 202-282-8495
Dept of Justice: Call the comment line at 202-353-1555 to tell Atty General Jeff Sessions not to restrict access to asylum for vulnerable people fleeing domestic and gang violence.
Sign petitions, then follow up by sharing on social media. Here are two:
Donate money to help organizations serve and advocate for migrant families. Consider giving to:
- Services, Immigrant Rights and Education Network (SIREN) – Local; donate to directly support free legal services, advocacy work for more just laws, and leadership training for community leaders in the Bay Area.
- The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) – TX border; donate to the Bond Fund to help families reunite.
- ActBlue – donate to 8 organizations working to protect kids separated from their families: Human Rights First, We Belong Together, Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project, Women’s Refugee Commission, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), United We Dream Action, La Union Del Pueblo Entero, and Kids in Need of Defense (KIND).
LEARN more about this travesty. Great info here:
- #FamiliesBelongTogether: Oppose Inhumane Immigration Policies (Suit Up Maine)