Call to Action
Can you spare a few minutes THIS AFTERNOON to take one quick action to #StopKavanaugh?
We need at least one Republican senator to oppose Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. TODAY (Thursday) is a national call-in day of action around that issue. The National Equality Action Team and other organizations are organizing folks to reach out to voters in key states and connect them with their home state senators. Want to help? Read more and sign up here:
- We Need You to Help #SaveSCOTUS (The Neat)
Thanks for all you do! It matters.
As some of you may be aware, many jails across our state release inmates that have completed their sentence at late hours of the night or early hours of the morning. Releasing vulnerable people in the middle of the night without support or transportation is cruel, and dangerous. Recently, Jessica St. Louis was released from the Santa Rita Jail at 1:30AM – and was found dead hours later.
- SF advocacy group criticizes release of woman from jail in overnight hours before her death (KTVU Fox 2)
The Young Women’s Freedom Center is running a campaign called Justice for Jessica, demanding the end of late night/early morning release. I contacted them about how we could help and here is what I heard back:
1. If you can attend their next action bodies on the ground it always great. The next action is August 19th.
2. You can sign up for emails from the YWFC for updates.
3. You can call your state assembly members in support of a bill to ban nighttime releases.
- State Senator Proposes Banning Nighttime Releases of Inmates (KQED’s The California Report)
Thanks to TWWSJ member Erin S. for this information!
One quick action about the Supreme Court and one quick action on behalf of immigrants. Read … Rise … Resist!
1. Demand a thorough review of Brett Kavanaugh
Trump’s Supreme Court justice nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, has authored copious legal opinions and other documents, from testimony about Bush-era torture policies to his position that a president can ignore laws that he doesn’t think are constitutional. One continual theme is his support for a greatly expanded executive authority. 5 Calls argues that “The American people deserve a thorough examination of Kavanaugh’s extensive body of work before his nomination can be sent to the Senate floor for a confirmation vote. Yet on July 18th, Senate Judiciary Committee chair Chuck Grassley made clear he has little intention of doing so, saying he intends to only probe ‘relevant’ documents.” In essence, Grassley is trying to ignore or obscure large portions of Kavanaugh’s record.
Tell Senators Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris — both members of the Senate Judiciary Committee — that you want a transparent and thorough examination of Kavanaugh’s record before sending his nomination to the floor of the senate for confirmation.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
Use this script, adapted from 5 Calls:
“Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from San Jose. I’m calling to demand that the committee commit to a transparent and thorough review Supreme Court justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s extensive body of work before referring his nomination to the full Senate. I’m also asking the Senator to do everything she can to make sure Kavanaugh is not confirmed. Thank you.”
2. Push back against the Trump administration’s strategy to penalize sanctioned (legal) immigrants for using public benefits
The Trump administration’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is finalizing a policy to penalize immigrants seeking permanent residency status for availing themselves or their U.S.-born/citizen spouse or children of a wide range of public benefits, including common tax deductions, Medicaid, children’s health insurance, Affordable Care Act insurance subsidies, food stamps, public housing, etc. In essence, immigrants would be disqualified from receiving a green card if they claimed nearly any benefits or if DHS deemed them likely to receive benefits in the future. By striking at the health and well-being of families, this rule — according to the National Immigration Law Center — would have the broadest effect of any immigration proposal in recent memory, with the potential to affect tens of millions of people. And by targeting low-income, Latino and black immigrant communities, it would also widen the already deep disparities in healthcare in this country. It’s worth reiterating that immigrants’ use of services is not a burden on the economy; they pay considerably more into the health care systems than they use (ditto other public benefits).
Tell your Representative and Senators that you oppose this proposed rule and ask them to do everything they can to stop it.
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren: (202) […]
TAKE ACTION by sending messages to Senator Collins and Senator Murkowski asking them to vote NO on Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court. Both senators accept email from non-constituents.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION to help write a personal message pleading them to vote AGAINST his confirmation to the US Supreme Court.
- Brett Kavanaugh’s track record (POLITICO)
TAKE ACTION by focusing on our activism for the November 2018 election.
1. Attend a volunteer training at the Democrat Volunteer Center (DVC) by Indivisible South Bay (ISB). Learn the various options for canvassing, postcard-writing, phone banking, texting, and fundraising volunteer activities:
- Saturday, August 4, 2018, 10AM-12:30PM
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, 10AM-12:30PM (tentative)
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 6:30-8:30PM
- Saturday, August 25, 2018, 10AM-12:30PM
2. Sign up with the DVC to volunteer between now and November 6, 2018.
3. Attend a postcard writing event at the DVC (960 San Antonio Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303).
- Monday, August 6, 2018, 7-9PM (for Julia Peacock, CA 42, to defeat NRA-funded Ken Calvert)
- Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 10:30AM-1PM (for TJ Cox, CA 21, and maybe one other)
- Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 10AM-noon
4. Volunteer to phonebank at the DVC. No need to RSVP. Drop in to help make a difference. Training and scripts will be provided.
- Monday, August 6, 2018, 2-7PM
- Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 2-7PM
Details: DVC August Calendar
5. Sign up to write postcards at home.
- CA 1 Audrey Denney to defeat Republican Doug LaMalfa
- CA 21 TJ Cox to defeat Republican incumbent David Valadao
- CA 22 Andrew Janz to defeat Republican Devin Nunes
- CA 42 Julia Peacock to defeat Ken Calvert
Join us Sunday afternoon, Aug. 5, online or in person at the San Jose Peace & Justice Center, to watch the Netflix standup special “Nanette” by Hannah Gadsby. Afterwards, we’ll discuss. RSVP via Facebook.
From the New York Times:
“Nanette (is) packaged as comedy but evolves into a searing critique of that medium when, midway through her set, Gadsby announces that she’s quitting stand-up. A lesbian from conservative Tasmania, she is done mining past trauma for jokes. Instead, Gadsby launches into a shrewd and impassioned dissection of misogyny, homophobia, art history and especially comedy.”
After the show, we will discuss its impact on ourselves and our activism, in person, but also reading and responding to posts in this listing.
We’ll have popcorn to share – feel free to bring a shareable to eat or drink!
Children are always welcome at TWWSJ events.
- Can Hannah Gadsby’s Nanette Bring Queer Storytelling the Attention It’s Due? (Marielle Mosthof at Slate, 7/20)
- Comedians Explain Why Hannah Gadsby’s ‘Nanette’ Is So Groundbreaking (Alison Stevenson at Vice, 7/13)
- Sara Schaefer and Sabrina Jalees on How Nanette Will Change Stand-up (Vulture, 7/2)
- The Transformative Comedy of Hannah Gadsby’s “Nanette”: An Autostraddle Roundtable (A.E. Osworth at Autostraddle, 6/29)
- The Comedy-Destroying, Soul-Affirming Art of Hannah Gadsby (Melena Ryzik at New York Times, 7/24)
- Nanette Isn’t a Comedy Show. It’s a Sledgehammer. (Hannah Gadsby at Elle, 7/26)
Can you write five letters to Ohio TODAY to help flip a U.S. Rep race to blue? I just came across this organization yesterday and tested it out myself before passing this along. Easy! Scripts! Short letters! Proven to help get people to the polls! But you have to start THIS MORNING! Here’s what you do:
1. Go to votefwd.org and enter your email and some info. Do this RIGHT NOW because they need some time to confirm that you’re a real person!
2. Once they approve you, you’ll get an email with five names and addresses of registered Democrats who voted in ’12 and ’16 but not ’14 (last midterm election).
3. You send them a letter asking them to vote and mail it ASAP! The special election (for Danny O’Connor in Ohio #12) is next Tues, Aug. 7th.
Thanks! This is kind of like PostcardsToVoters.org (who actually RAN OUT of addresses for Danny’s campaign because so many people wrote!) but a little different. Interesting strategy. Let’s write some letters!