The Families Belong Together edition (post 2/4)
U.S. immigration authorities have been separating families at the border for no legitimate reason. At least 700 children have been pulled from their families, about 100 of whom are under age 4.
What can we do?
1. Show up for a rally, *tomorrow* JUNE 1 at noon. The ACLU in partnership with United We Dream, Domestic Workers’ Coalition, and Move On is holding rallies in front of immigration enforcement offices. The one in San Jose is at the U.S. Attorney’s Office at 150 Almaden. Protest on the sidewalk outside the building. Do not go up to the U.S. Attorney’s office since it is federal property (h/t Ruth Silver Taube). RSVP for the event at the ACLU People Power site.
2. Call your representatives and express your horror. You can simply say, “The treatment of immigrants at the border is unconscionable. What is the Senator/Representative doing about this?” More specifically, you can use this script from 5 Calls:
“I’m asking Rep___ to use Congress’ oversight authority to stop separating families at the U.S. border. This practice hurts innocent children and should be stopped immediately.”
While you’re at it, demand an investigation into ICE and Border Patrol abuse of detainees.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
- Sen. Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553 or (415) 355-9041
- Rep. Zoe Lofgren: (202) 225-3072 or (408) 271-8700
- Rep. Ro Khanna: (202) 225-2631 or (408) 436-2720
- Rep. Anna Eshoo: (202) 225-8104 or (408) 245-2339
- 1-844-USA-0234 to find your MoC
3. Want to support a more specific legislative remedy? Call Senator Feinstein (Harris is already a cosponsor) and ask her to support the Humane Enforcement and Legal Protections (HELP) for Separated Children Act (S.2937), which will protect children who have been abandoned at home or at school after their parents have been arrested or detained by US immigration authorities. Read about the protections this bill will provide via Sen. Tina Smith (D-MN).
4. Donate to an organization that is working on immigration and border issues, like the ACLU or KIND (Kids in Need of Defense). KIND aims to ensure that no unaccompanied children appear in the US immigration system without an attorney.