“Continuous effort – not strength or intelligence – is the key to unlocking our potential.” –-Winston Churchill
1 national call, 5 CA State Specific Actions!
- Contact the Senate Judiciary Committee and Senator Feinstein and tell them to schedule a hearing hearing on DACA ASAP and move the Dream Act out of committee
- Call Governor Brown and ask him to stand with immigrants and support SB 54
- Tell Evan Low to Protect Our California Values
- Protect the Mojave Desert – Call your State Senators regarding Assembly Bill 1000- moving groundwater from the Mojave to SoCal
- Call the state regarding SB 623 – to provide all Californians have access to safe and affordable drinking water.
- Attend an event in support of renters’ rights, taking place on Friday.
1. Contact the Senate Judiciary Committee and tell them to schedule a hearing hearing on DACA ASAP and move the Dream Act out of committee
The Senate Judiciary Committee has indefinitely postponed a hearing on DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) that was to take place today. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/350144-senate-committee-postpones-daca-hearing
- Senate Judiciary Committee 202-224-5225
- Senator Feinstein, Committee Member: (202) 224-3841 or (415) 393-0707
2. Call Governor Brown and ask him to stand with immigrants and support SB 54
Thank you to Cassie for this C2A.
The California Values Act (SB 54), moved out of the Assembly Public Safety Committee with overwhelming support. The bill continues to gain momentum across the state with new backers from teachers associations to environmental organizations. Not even the Trump-friendly California State Sheriffs Association has slowed our campaign down.
But there is someone who has yet to come out in support of the California Values Act. Governor Brown has remained silent on the bill throughout the legislative process, even as the bill continues to move through the second house!
My name is ________, a constituent from (city), (zip code). I am calling today to ask Governor Brown to support the California Values Act, SB 54, in its current form, so that California can continue to lead the way in protecting our immigrant communities. We need stronger protections beyond the TRUST Act to protect members of our communities and SB 54 will do just that. Will the Governor support the CA Values Act?
3. Tell Evan Low to Protect Our California Values
Thank you to Cassie for this C2A.
Background: The vote is coming up any day this week and Evan Low STILL refuses to tell his constituents how he plans to vote! He’s a crucial vote right now and we need everyone here in Silicon Valley (constituents and not) to make this call to tell him to vote “yes” to protect our immigrant friends & neighbors.
SB 54, the California Values Act, will protect the safety and well-being of all Californians by limiting state and local resources from fueling mass deportations, separating families, and terrorizing our communities. California must stand with immigrants, not with the California Sheriff Association’s shameful collusion with Trump’s anti-immigrant agenda.
More info: https://actionnetwork.org/events/tell-assemblymember-evan-low-to-stand-up-for-our-california-values
Contact Info: (408) 446-2810
Hi, my name is ___ and I’m a constituent from CITY / ZIP CODE. I’m calling to ask Assemblymember Evan Low to support the California Values Act SB-54. The California Values Act will protect all Californians by making sure that local resources are not used to separate families or violate Californians due process rights. It will also reduce deportations and discrimination on the basis of race, religion, identity, or sexual orientation. I was disappointed to learn that Assemblymember Low hasn’t taken a stance on this issue and I want to encourage him to please stand up for our California values and support SB-54!
4. Protect the Mojave Desert – Call your State Senators regarding Assembly Bill 1000- moving groundwater from the Mojave to SoCal
Thank you to Vicki Alexander for this C2A.
Background: AB 1000 is a bill that was introduced by assembly member Laura Friedman in 2017. It was motivated by an action that Cadiz Inc. is taking to move water from the Mojave desert to southern California. AB 1000 is currently blocked from moving forward in the legislature.
AB 1000 essentially would block a private company from moving groundwater from inside a desert that is on or near federal/state-owned lands to ELSEWHERE (e.g. southern California urban or suburban communities) without first getting assurance it would not adversely impact the life of that desert. Makes sense, doesn’t it?
More Info from Kat Nos: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NtLhAdKvlxsT-hZea17xzrVwvF0vpiEVt-OFJst2GC0/edit Focus on keeping desert groundwater in the desert.
See LA Times Op Ed of August 21st (co-authored by Dianne Feinstein and the bill’s author). Its title is “The scheme to pump desert water to L.A. could destroy the Mojave. California’s Legislature needs to block it”:
Please support AB 1000, the California Desert Protection Act. I understand that this bill is currently stuck in committee. Please release this bill for a vote.
5. Call the state regarding SB 623 – to provide all Californians have access to safe and affordable drinking water.
Thank you to TWWSJ member Erin Salter for providing this C2A.
Background: SB 623 would provide an ongoing source of funding to ensure all Californians have access to safe and affordable drinking water. More than 300 communities and one million Californians are exposed to unsafe drinking water from the taps in their homes, schools, and communities each year. Please call your Assemblymember today to urge their support for SB623 and safe, affordable drinking water.
Hi, I am calling to ask Assemblymember [Name] to support SB 623 and ensure safe, affordable drinking water for all Californians.
Contact info: Dial 559-206-3602, enter your zip code, and you will be connected with your Assemblymember.
6. Attend an event in support of renters’ rights, taking place on Friday.
Thank you to Stephenie Rose Cooper for this C2A
Here’s one in San Jose: https://www.facebook.com/events/1965280950379301/
Tell us how it goes in the comments below! Thanks for your activism – it matters!